Posts

The beginnings of The Heath House

In the first of our blog posts about the history of the Philips family and The Heath House, we are focussing on the first recorded members of the Philips family.

The first records we have are of Francis Phylippe, born in 1552. He was married to Margaret and, as far as we are aware, it was this generation of the Philips family first lived in the Tean Valley. Their wealth was built on land and large estates that they acquired in the district.

The Heath House estate itself was bought by Nathaniel Philips in around 1690 after he married Elizabeth Stubbs, daughter and heiress from a neighbouring estate, The Shawe at Kingsley. We believe that it was this couple who built the first Heath House in the Georgian style in about 1720. The ground floor exterior was created with an ionic style colonnade.

This first version of the Heath House was lived in for 3 generations with little alteration. It wasn’t until 1834 that plans were put in place for The Heath House we know today…..

 

Work is underway to start the Dutch Barn boutique glamping site

 

The Heath House, Staffordshire, Boutique camp site

Timber!!

 

The Sound of Music comes to Heath House with an Advent Harp Recital!

We had a super time with Derwent Harps here on Saturday evening. Nearly 100 people were treated to a smorgasbord of musical delights with hot mulled punch and mince pies in the interval. There was also a raffle and a Harp for the lucky winner. Good luck to all the students in their studies and we hope to see you again soon.

The Heath House,Harp recital, Event

Derwent Harp Recital at The Heath House.